Monday, August 20, 2007

I believe!

I have tried to watch so many meteor showers in my day. Really. I've had lots of shooting stars pointed out to me, and still had never actually seen anything. I finally declared watching meteor showers a futile endeavor, renounced my belief that they exist to the human eye and, well, gave it up for dead, so to speak.

However, I was convinced by more than one person (most of them relatively attractive, which never hurts) to go up to Vivian Park last Sunday night and watched the meteor shower, from about 11:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. (I was going to get up at 3:30 to go, which I agreed to because of the pure adventurous nature of getting up at 3:30 a.m. to head up the canyon, but my phone [alarm] died; it was a good thing I'd gone up a little early.)

For the first time in my life, I saw - not even just one - but tens of shooting stars. Some followed by really strong trails of debris, even - long trails of white, undoubtedly astronomic Wendy's cups and used Kleenex being shaken off these meteors as they shot across the sky.

Anyway, yes, Virginia - shooting stars do exist!

"...You taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
Though all I knew of the rote universe were those Pleiades loosed in December
I promised you I‘d set them to verse so I'd always remember

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee ..." --"Emily," Joanna Newsom

6 comments:

sunnysnows said...

lol... well, I guess you wouldn't have been affected by that meteor shower five years ago... you were a little busy.

Brooklyn said...

Whaaa?

Brooklyn said...

OH. it's you. hahahahahhaha.

This makes so much more sense now. DANG YOU. hahahahahha. there were bright lights, anyway. that place was still not that great of a place to actually see anything. The guy should have referred us to the mountains.

Dang you. hahahahhahaha ...

sunnysnows said...

lol, you should update us on your life. luna solem and I feel like you have dropped off the face of the planet.

Heather said...

I wish I'd seen it. I've never seen a shooting star before.

Olympus said...

Kismet Keeper:

I think I never went to a place dark enough before, where there were enough shooting stars. Next time you hear of a relatively major one coming through, go up the canyon somewhere with no lights and lie on your back for a couple hours with some friends. I determined it works better this way than to stand looking up for a bit. Probably something about commitment. (Take blankets.)