Tuesday, January 29, 2008

say what you mean and mean what you say

me: I have a problem
flippin: no kidding.
me: You are one of my favorite people ever. hahhaha.
That wasn't my problem.
flippin: That would be a problem though.
me: flippin, I don't know how to say something without talking my way into it, sometimes. (Nah. It wouldn't.)
why can't I just say what I mean?
1:52 PM I just got off the phone with a guy who was confused as to why I had an appointment with him
and I explained that I thought we would be a good advertising venue for them
and he said, "Oh, so you want to market yourselves to me?"
The correct answer would have been, "Yes. Yes, I do."
1:53 PM The answer I gave was, "Yes, well, and also find out what your direction is and see if we can help you, you know, in other ways, like with our magazine, and not just advertising."
He was like, "Eh? OK ... well, we can still meet."
and I said "thanks" and hung up.
Blah.
flippin: Practice the following phrases: I want to sell you ad space.
1:54 PM I don't want to go to your party.
me: I'm so scared of the idea of being a salesperson, I think, and all the bad image that comes with it. [Even if I'm not scared of actually being a salesperson. Just the image.]
flippin: You can't come to my house.
me: No, I can't say "ad space." It's "advertising solutions."
flippin: I won't watch your baby.
I don't drink.
me: Continue:)
flippin: Yes, I do think those pants make your butt look fat.
1:55 PM me: OK.
Thanks.
flippin: no prob.

No comments: