Saturday, January 13, 2007

anonymous...something

I have an addiction.

And, like any recovering addict, even though I've been free for about seven months now, sometimes I have relapses. I've been doing pretty well at fighting them, but sometimes you just lose control.

Hi. My name is Olympus, and I'm a ballroom dancer.

I quit dancing seriously in January, and have since taken small, token classes just for fun, to keep my foot in the door. However, the dance world is not one in which you can be half in-half out. You kinda have to choose one. If you only half try, you get left behind.

You know that feeling where you aren't just doing figures anymore - where you know the figures well enough that you don't have to think about them anymore and you just feel the dance? That's where the wonder in dancing lies. That's where the addiction comes from. I haven't felt that in a long time.

Today in my gold Latin class, I tasted it - just for a minute - but I got it back. And I kinda remembered why I don't strive for that like I used to.

It hurts!! I felt it, and I remembered. And then I still have to walk away, because I've made my choice already (and I still know it's a good one). When I left class today, I almost cried. I used to sacrifice anything for this stuff, and I was remembering why.

"My favorite thing is to go somewhere I have never been, walk along their silver shores, cast a corner of my heart to the wnd, and move on."

2 comments:

Thirdmango said...

I too was a ballroom dancer. But I couldn't keep it up. I do miss it sometimes but overall am glad to be away from it. Mostly due to the personalities in most ballroom dancers. I didn't like the attitudes and the pain and the fighting. The dancing was fun but not worth all the other stuff. Good luck with the addiction, it's a tough one.

Olympus said...

Ya know, I can somewhat identify. I love the dancing itself, and whenever I'm doing it I really miss it. However, when I think about the scene, I just get stressed out.

And, thanks.