Monday, April 23, 2007

oops

I have all these rules for myself concerning spitting. I only allow myself to spit in two environments besides the sink and the shower: the ocean, and while exercising outside in a fair amount of solitude. I have an unusual need to spit, I think - one of my current best friends didn't like me at first because I cleared my throat too much, and people can tell where both my dad and I are in a room just by listening for that throat-clearing. In any case, I have rules. One rule in particular.

I don't do it anywhere in proximity to BYU campus, because even if I weren't a BYU student, people would assume I was, and we're technically supposed to be an ambassadors of this religion and all that. Spitting probably isn't a great way to do that, so I don't. Even if there's no one around - how many times have you seen something against social norms because someone thought no one was watching? These apartment complexes have windows, you know.

Really, I usually don't do it in public at all, although I'm a little less stringent outside of Provo or in an environment where I'm conspicuously LDS. My grandpa always used to spit out the window in the car, and we never thought any less of him. Still, I guess I'm a girl. An unmarried one at that (no comments). Also, I'm cool when I'm in the ocean, because everybody spits in the ocean. I'm also cool when I'm exercising in a somewhat remote area, because a) sometimes it's too uncomfortable not to, and b) way less weird, I've seen that lots of times.

So why on earth did I just spit into the grass next to a three-way stop right next to campus, with at least two sets of headlights staring me down?? Dang me and my rules. Sheesh. It was going so well.

No comments: