Thursday, March 1, 2007

wake up

Sometimes, the best part of the night is when you wake up, sigh, think, "That was just a dream," and settle back in to, well, sleep it off.

So where have those dreams gone?

Every one of my dreams in the last week has been a real-life take on a situation I'm actually in. I wake up and think, "That's what could happen if I don't get control over this part of my life?" It's like watching a really good movie, like *Crash or something - not really fun to watch, but when you're finished, you've learned something and you can really say it was worth your time, even if you're disturbed for awhile afterward.

I was never under the impression, however, that dreams were supposed to be worth my time. Aren't there enough waking hours to teach me the lessons I'm supposed to be learning? Think about it, though ... you'd rather not learn about relationships from breaking up; you'd rather not learn about finances by bouncing checks; you'd rather not learn about God by being separated from Him. In our minds, we'd like to learn everything in a "happy place." Because we are who we are, it doesn't work that way.

There could be a lot worse things. Really ... it was just a dream. It really is just like watching a hardcore movie. It's over, I woke up, and now it's time to change a little. That works. I should be saying thanks.

*edited

3 comments:

TopHat said...

I love dreaming! Dreaming is my favorite part of sleeping. If I never dreamed, I wouldn't have much incentive to sleep. It keeps life interesting and give you funny things to think about. Have fun with it!

Dan M. said...

I can't stand dreams, they leave me so little time to sleep..

Brooklyn said...

Normally I love dreaming, but part of the fun of it is the idea that it isn't real. (Of course, this excludes kissing dreams with people you're interested in:P) Also, if they're too intense, yeah, you do wake up a little more tired. I can't afford that:)