Monday, June 4, 2007

What is it about this place that gets to claim so much?

I'm baffled over it, really. Over and over, in church meetings and wherever, people stand up and say things like, "If you've come to this city with a fractured testimony, you're in a dangerous place." or "I know it's hard living here, and it's easy to forget what you're supposed to be doing and get caught up." And that doesn't happen in other places?

What's so special about a city, that it thinks it can claim people like this? It's just a place. Just a bunch of people smashed into a bunch of buildings on a bunch of streets - in many ways, just like anywhere else.

The arrogance astounds me, but the whole world seems to be agreed upon it.

2 comments:

LJ said...

I think it's because it's truer here than in most cities. There's something about this place where if you do survive, it's in spite of this city, not because of it.

Olympus said...

I can see that.

Even though I'm taken in no less than anyone else by it, it still annoys me. I think it makes me feel like someone is trying to subordinate me to a place.